Zoloft Side Effects
Generic Name: Sertraline
Brand Name: Zoloft
Consumer need to know
Applies to zoloft: Oral
Zoloft and its Side Effects
Zoloft is a medication used as an antidepressant which treats depression, panic disorders, post traumatic stress disorders, premenstrual disorders, anxiety disorder and other problems the doctor may find. Zoloft is its brand name while it is known with its generic name too (sertraline).
Like any other effective remedy it can cause side effects and the patients should be informed about them.
The most common Zoloft side effects are; nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, drowsiness (or other sleeping problems) , mouth dryness, stomach pain, feeling weak, head pain, sweating, sexual problems (like altered interest in having sexual intercourse) , loss of appetite, weight loss etc.
The most important for the patient is to be known with the specific symptoms, which must be reported to the doctor immediately. So, they should get medical help if they noticed any of these symptoms; allergic reaction including: skin rash, swelling, itching, hives, face, lips, tongue, or throat edema or breathing trouble.
There are also other serious side effects, occurring rarely but important; hallucinations, loss of coordination, fast heart beat, vomit in a brown color, black stool, nausea, diarrhea, convulsing.
Side effects of Zoloft related to its manner of use
It is impossible to give a certain tableau with all sertraline side effects without categories the happening events. Different events occur in adults and other in pediatric ages. In addition they differ according to the reason why do they occur, for example they may happen when the consumer uses if for the first time or from a discontinued.
Emergent adverse events include;
- nervous system disorders as; sweating, dryness, ejaculation, tremor, dizziness or headache.
- skin disorders as; rash.
- gastrointestinal disorders as; constipation, dyspepsia, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or anorexia.
- psychiatric disorders as; nervous, anxious, sleeping problems, libido decreased, agitation.
Discontinuation of sertraline causes;
- abdominal pain, flu, fatigue, sexual dysfunction (changes in sexual desire, performance or satisfaction).
- In a treatment with Zoloft of over 600 children, 281 of them had; aggressive reaction, sinusitis, fever, inability to urinary incontinence and general adverse events similar to the adult ones.
- After Zoloft introduction, other reports showed increase of adverse events which aren’t related to a known way of sertraline use. Here are included; blindness, increasing hemorrhage time, acute failure of kidneys, edema, anemia, leucopenia, LED, high blood sugar, psychosis, hypertension, allergic reaction, high sensitivity of light, clinic features of liver as; hepatitis, yellow oh skin, high levels of hepatic enzymes and other liver failure which can cause death.
Zoloft side effects classified by frequency
As we mentioned we can’t give a complete overview of sertraline side effects without divided them into categories. In addition reports showed some symptoms occurring more often and some others rarely.
Frequent events include;
- changes in nervous system: hypertonic, impotence.
- cardiovascular changes: chest pain, palpitations.
- gastrointestinal disorders: appetite increased, indigestion.
- frequent adverse in musculoskeletal system: pain of muscles.
- psychiatric disorders: male and female sexual problems, nervous, anxious.
- frequent events in respiratory system: rhinitis.
- general problems: pain, problems with eyes, malaise, gain weight, asthenia, temporary flushing in face and neck part, feeling tired.
- nervous system: increased salvia, twitching, confusion, vertigo, migraine, hyperesthesia, leg cramps, abnormal gait, hyperkinesias, clammy skin.
- cardiovascular events: hypertension, edema, hypotension, ischemia, syncope, epilepsy.
- changes in skin: hives, acne, itching, dehydration, LED, rash, alopecia.
- gastrointestinal disorders: infection of gastrointestinal tract and esophagus, dysphasia, aggravated tooth.
- metabolic disorder: thirst.
- changes in musculoskeletal system: muscle pain and weakness, dystopia.
- psychiatric disorders: depression, delusions, amnesia, apathy, emotional changes, paranoid movements, euphoria, nightmares.
- changes in reproductive system: changes in menstrual cycle, abnormal bleeding, leucorrhea etc.
- respiratory system: sinusitis, infection, coughing.
- senses: eye pain, less urination, urinary retention, anural, inability to continence.
- general: generalized edema.
- nervous system disorders: narcoleptic, behaving with excessive cheerfulness, mania, thoughts of suicide, glaucoma, pallor, coma.
- cardiovascular events: block of AV node, heart throbbing, vacuities, prolong of Q-T interval, low heartbeat, fast beat of ventricular , spasms of blood vessels, MI (myocardial infarction) , chest pain, hypertension.
- disorders of skin: itching, hives, LED, rash, sun sensitive skin, eczema, dermatitis, discoloration of skin.
- endocrine disorders: underactive thyroid, high blood sugar.
- gastrointestinal disorders: bleeding of the stomach or intestines, pancreatitis, hiccup, infection of stomach or gastric tract, constipation, fecal incontinence, ulcer, tongue edema.
- hearing and vestibular disorder: sense of complicated disorder.
- hematopoietic or lymphatic: anemia, eye hemorrhage, decreased blood platelets, deficiency of granulocytes.
- liver disorders are related with dysfunction of it.
- metabolic disorders: hypoglycemia or high blood sugar, low amount of sodium in blood.
- reproductive disorders: breast tenderness, acute mastitis, breast pain, atrophic virginities, discharge of milk and women when not breastfeeding.
- urinary system disorders: pain of kidney, cystitis, less urination.
- general events: sudden blindness, reaction due to allergy, nosebleed, feeling of restlessness, fever, hepatitis caused by drugs and other liver failure, edema especially in the face.